Dr Nawfal finished his training at the American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC) in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
He then pursued further training in Minimally Invasive, advanced Laparoscopic and Robotic gynecologic surgery in the United States at Henry Ford Health System in Michigan, a pioneering institution in Minimally Invasive surgery.
Dr Nawfal is a certified expert robotic surgeon, and one of the first physicians with expertise in this new state-of-the art technology worldwide. He has been performing Robotic surgery since 2009, is a trainer for other surgeons on the robotic platform and has the busiest robotic gynecologic surgery practice in Lebanon.
He also specializes in advanced laparoscopic and single port laparoscopic surgeries, performing the most complex and advanced surgeries in a minimally invasive way, allowing for better results and quicker recovery for patients. He is the first gynecologist with an accredited fellowship training in robotic surgery in Lebanon and the region and his training is one of the few programs in the United States that is accredited by the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL).
In addition to being a member of the AAGL, he is also a member of the Society of Laparoendoscopic surgeons (SLS), the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) and is a Fellow of the American college of surgeons (FACS). He has published in prestigious journals, has presented in multiple international conferences and is a reviewer for the Journal of minimally invasive gynecology (JMIG).
Dr Nawfal has performed the first single port robotic surgery in Michigan-USA, the first single port laparoscopic hysterectomies (June 2012) and the first Robotic gynecologic surgeries (August 2012) in Lebanon and the region. He currently is the Chairman of the Reproductive surgery interest group and currently is the Secretary in the Executive Board of the Middle East Fertility society (MEFS)
-2011- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery (MIGS) , Henry Ford Health System- USA.
-2009- Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology, American University of Beirut Medical Center- Lebanon.
-2003- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Jordan.
-1997- French Baccalaureate in Sciences, Grand Lycee Franco-Libanais- Lebanon.
1. Roboticist Award- Henry Ford Health System, Women’s Health Division – Minimally Invasive Gynecology- June 2011
2. Fellow Of the Year Award- Henry Ford Health System, Women’s Health Division– Minimally Invasive Gynecology- July 2011
3. Award for Best Video in Gynecology- Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons 19th Annual Meeting, Sept 2010:”Laparoscopic Excision of a Rudimentary Uterine Horn with an Intra- Uterine Pregnancy at 9 6/7 Weeks Gestation
- Performed the first Single Port Robotic surgery in Michigan, Friday April 29th 2011
- Performed the first case series of single port laparoscopic hysterectomies in Lebanon (June 2012)
- Performed the first Robotic Gynecologic surgery (Hysterectomy with bilateral
salpingo-oophorectomy) in Lebanon (August 2012)
- Performed the first Robotic Myomectomy in Lebanon (August 2012)
- Performed the first Robotic hysterectomy and Lymph nodes dissection for
endometrial cancer in Lebanon (February 2013)
- Performed the first Robotic hysterectomy with resection of severe stage 4 endometriosis in Lebanon (February 2013)
- Performed the first Robotic Sacrocolpopexy in Lebanon (April 2013)
- Lebanese Order of Physicians
- Lebanese Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology (LSOG)
- Member of The American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopy (AAGL)
- Member of The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
- Member of The Society Of Laparo-endoscopic Surgeons (SLS)
- Board member- Secretary of the Middle East Fertility society (MEFS)
- Treasurer for the American college of Surgeons –Lebanon Chapter (FACS)
- Tsafrir Z, Palmer M, Dahlman M, Nawfal AK, Aoun J, Taylor A, Fisher J, Theoharis E, Eisenstein D. Long-term outcomes for different vaginal cuff closure techniques in robotic-assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy: A randomized controlled trial. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2016 Nov 16;210:7-12. doi: 10.1016/j.ejogrb.2016.11.018.
- Orady M, Hrynewych A, Nawfal AK, Wegienka G. Comparison of robotic-assisted hysterectomy to other minimally invasive approaches. JSLS 2012 Oct-Dec;16(4):542-8.
- Nawfal AK, Eisenstein D, Theoharis E, Dahlman M, Wegienka G. Vaginal cuff closure during robotic-assisted total laparoscopic hysterectomy: comparing vicryl to barbed sutures. JSLS 2012 Oct-Dec;16(4):525-9.
-Nawfal et al. Laparoscopic management of pregnancy in a patient with uterus didelphys, obstructed hemivagina, and ipsilateral renal agenesis. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011 May-Jun; 18(3):381-5. .
-Nawfal et al. Effect of BMI on Robotic assisted Total laparoscopic hysterectomy J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011 May-Jun; 18(3):328-32.
- Orady M., Nawfal A.K., Wegienka G., Does size matter? The effect of uterine weight on robot-assisted total laparoscopic hysterectomy outcomes. Journal of Robotic surgery, May 2011
- Nassar A.H., Charara I., Nawfal A.K., Ghulmiyyah L., Usta I.M. (2009). Ectopic pregnancy in a uterine perforation site. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. DOI: 10.1016/j.ajog.2009.04.032
- Nassar A.H., Abu-Musa A., Zreik R., Karam M., Nawfal A.K., Hammad I., Usta I.M. (2009). Elective repeat cesarean delivery: at which gestational age is it performed? Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica. DOI: 10.1080/00016340903134213.
- Nawfal et al, Prospective Randomized Vaginal Cuff suturing during Robotic hysterectomy (In progress).
- Dahlman M. MD, Orady M., MD, Eisenstein D., MD, Nawfal A.K., MD and Wegienka W., PhD. Patient Satisfaction in the Immediate Postoperative Period After Hysterectomy (2011) (In progress).