- Dr. Louis Chaptini graduated as a medical doctor in 1998 from the faculty of medicine of St Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon and then moved to the USA for specialty training. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine and fellowship in Gastroenterology/ Hepatology at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School/ University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ) and became diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American board of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- After his training, he joined the gastroenterology faculty at UMDNJ and was appointed clinical chief of gastroenterology at St Francis Hospital, Wilmington, Delaware. He joined Yale medical school in 2012 as an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the department of gastroenterology and hepatology. During his time at Yale, he was appointed chief of endoscopy at Yale Health, an outpatient endoscopy center affiliated with Yale School of Medicine. Before joining Clemenceau Medical Center in 2018, he practiced as consultant in Gastroenterology at the American Hospital of Dubai for 2 years.
- Dr. Chaptini has a special interest in the prevention of colorectal cancer, increasing awareness about this cancer and improving the quality of screening. He has several publications in this field and has been an active campaigner in increasing awareness. He also focuses on many of the common gastrointestinal diseases like reflux, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, liver diseases and inflammatory bowel diseases and has an interest in the role of the gastroenterologist in the management of obesity.
- Dr. Chaptini received several teaching awards. He was chief resident of the Internal Medicine program at UMDNJ and received the “teaching resident of the year” award during residency and the “Howard Spiro, MD Digestive Diseases Fellowship Teaching Award” at Yale School of Medicine. He also received a certificate of appreciation from the Ministry of Heath of the United Arab Emirates for his participation in Colon Cancer Prevention Program.
- Dr. Chaptini believes in a multidisciplinary approach when caring for his patients and feels fortunate to be part of a dynamic homogeneous group of competent physicians at CMC working together to deliver excellent high quality care.
Consultant gastroenterologist, Clemenceau Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, Yale school of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Chief of Endoscopy at Yale Health Facility, New Haven, CT, USA
Clinical Chief of Gastroenterology at St Francis Hospital, Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Consultant Gastroenterologist, American Hospital Dubai, Dubai, UAE
Assistant Professor of Medicine, Yale school of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Assistant Professor of Medicine, UMDNJ, NJ, USA
- 2019: Executive Master in Heathcare Management, Ecole Superieure des Affaires (ESA), Beirut, Lebanon
- 2005, 2015: American Board of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Board Certification
- 2002: American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine, Board Certification
- 1998: Medical Doctor, Saint-Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon.
- 1991: French Baccalaureate, with Honors.
- 1991: Lebanese Baccalaureate.
- Chaptini L, Bhambri S, Greenbaum D. Elfant A. Successful endoscopic management of band erosion complicating gastric bypass surgery. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004 Nov-Dec;38(10):914-5.
- Chaptini L, Nammour F, Peikin S. Rectal bleeding and abdominal mass. Gut. 2006 Jan;55(1):15, 40
- Louis A Chaptini, MD; Eileen M Janec, MD; Gregory Seltzer, MD; Steven Peikin, MD; Adam B Elfant, MD. Sublingual Hyoscyamine Spray as Premedication for Colonoscopy: A Randomized, Double-Blinded, Placebo Controlled Trial. American Journal Surgery 2008 Jul;196(1):51-5
- Louis Chaptini, Steven Peikin. Neuroendocrine regulation of food intake. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology 2008; 24: 223-229
- Louis Chaptini, MD; Krystal Hunter; Adib Chaaya, MD; Fedele Depalma, MD; Steven Peikin, MD; Loren Laine, MD. Variation in polyp size estimation among endoscopists and impact on surveillance intervals. Gastrointest Endosc. 2014 Oct;80(4):652-9
- Chaptini L, Laine L. Can I improve my adenoma detection rate? J Clin Gastroenterol. 2015 Apr;49(4):270-81.
Neil Parikh, MD; Ananta Gurung, MD; Louis Chaptini, MD. Image of the month: Schistosomiasis as a solitary sigmoid nodule. Am J Gastroenterol. 2016 Feb; 111(2):173
Neil Parikh, MD; Louis Chaptini, MD; Basile Njei, MD; Loren Laine, MD. Diagnosis of sessile adenomas/polyps with image-enhanced endoscopy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Endoscopy. 2016 Aug;48(8):731-9.
- Shah SA, Cho M, Chaptini L, Parikh N. Sloughing Esophagitis: An Atypical Cause of Food Impaction. ACG Case Rep J. 2016 Jul 27;3(4):e85. eCollection 2016 Aug.
- Shah S, Chaptini L, Parikh ND. Strongyloidiasis Presenting as Epigastric Pain. Am J Gastroenterol. 2016 Dec;111(12):1678.
- Louis Chaptini, MD. Challenges faced by US-trained gastroenterologists when pursuing a medical career outside of the USA. Dig Dis Sci. 2017 Dec;62(12):3266-3268
- Louis Chaptini, Steven Peikin. Gastrointestinal Bleeding. In: Joseph E Parillo, R Phillip Dellinger (eds): Critical Care Medicine, Principles of Diagnosis and Management in the Adult, 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Mosby Elsevier, 2008, pp 1605-1625
- Chaptini L, Peikin S. Approach to the patient with Obesity. In: Textbook of Gastroenterology. Fifth edition. Yamada T (ed). Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2009. pp 2561-2573.
- Chaptini L, Deitch C, Peikin S. 'Physiology of Weight Regulation.' In: Practical Gastroenterology and Hepatology Volume Two, Small and Large Intestine and Pancreas. Talley NJ, Kane SV, Wallace MB (eds). Oxford: Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 2010. pp 9-12.
- Louis Chaptini, Steven Peikin. Gastrointestinal Bleeding. In: Joseph E Parillo, R Phillip Dellinger (eds): Critical Care Medicine, Principles of Diagnosis and Management in the Adult, 4th ed. Philadelphia, Mosby Elsevier, 2013, pp 1334-1352
- Chaptini L, Peikin S. Obesity, treatment and complications. In: Yamada’s Textbook of Gastroenterology. Sixth edition. Podolsky, DK (ed). Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2016. pp 2230-2241.
- Chaptini L, Peikin S. Obesity, treatment and complications. In: Yamada’s Atlas of Gastroenterology. Fifth edition. Podolsky, DK (ed). Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2016. pp 491-494.
- Louis Chaptini, Steven Peikin. Physiolology of Weight Regulation. In: Practical Gastroenterology and Hepatology Board Review Toolkit. Second Edition. Talley NJ (ed). Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2016. Chapter 102 (Online only chapter).
- Louis Chaptini, Steven Peikin. Gastrointestinal Bleeding. In: Joseph E Parillo, R Phillip Dellinger (eds): Critical Care Medicine, Principles of Diagnosis and Management in the Adult, 5th ed. Philadelphia, Mosby Elsevier, 2019, pp 1192-1209