Head of the Structural Program at the Cardiology Department at CMC Beirut
Program Director of Cardiology Fellowship at Beirut Arab University
American Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Cardiology, echocardiography, nuclear cardiology, and Interventional cardiology
Trained at Duke University, Baylor College of Medicine, and Texas Heart Institute in the latest cardiovascular interventions.
Skilled in performing high risk coronary, peripheral vascular, and structural cardiac interventions. Expertise includes PCI (coronary angioplasty),
EVAR (endovascular aneurysm repair), carotid stenting, TAVI (Transcatheter aortic valve replacement), ASD/PFO (septal defect) percutaneous closure, venous (veins among others) therapies, among other complex interventions without requiring surgery.
Institution Dates Degree
American University of Beirut 2003-2006 B.S. in Biology
Beirut, Lebanon with High Distinction
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Dean’s Honor List
American University of Beirut 2006-2010 MD
Beirut, Lebanon with Distinction
Dean’s Honor List
American University of Beirut 6/2010-6/2011 Internship in Internal Medicine
Duke University Medical Center 7/2011-6/2014 Internal Medicine Residency
Durham, North Carolina
Duke University Medical Center 1/2013-2/2013 Comprehensive Introduction to Clinical Research
Duke University Medical Center 2013 Resident Research Education Course
Duke University Medical Center 2014 Advanced Research Principles and Practices Certificate
Baylor College of Medicine/ 7/2014-6/2017 General Cardiology Fellowship
Texas Heart Institute at
Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center
Baylor College of Medicine/ 6/2016-6/2018 Interventional, Peripheral, and Structural
Texas Heart Institute at Cardiology Fellowship
Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center
-Should Echocardiograms be Part of the Standard of Care for Heart Failure Admissions? (Mentor: Dr. Bimal Shah, Cardiology)
-"Quality of Care for Patients with Atrial Fibrillation at Duke" (Mentors: Dr. Ann Marie Navar- Boggan, Dr. Eric Peterson)
-Use of preDx test to alter medical practices and prevention strategies among patients with metabolic syndrome (Mentor: Dr. Bimal Shah, Cardiology)
-Assessing the Association between Genetic factors and Smoking cessation in Patients with Established Coronary Artery Disease (Mentor: Dr. Bimal Shah, Cardiology)
-Assessing the impact of mitral stenosis severity on outcomes of TAVR patients. (Mentor: Dr. Raymond Stainback, Cardiology).
-Main research coordinator and manager of the TAVR registry at Texas Heart Institute
-Building and organizing TAVR registry and research for Texas Heart Institute
-Reviewer for Texas Heart Institute Journal (since 2014)
-Shatila W, Krajcer Z. Myocardial fibrosis and MitraClip: Does it even matter? Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 May 1;93(6):1150-1151.
- Shatila W, Krajcer Z. TAVI: How to best predict postprocedural outcomes?
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 Mar 1;93(4):E261.
- Shatila W, Krajcer Z. Does single-valve surgery cause ischemia? Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 Mar 1;93(4):590-591.
-Shatila W, Krajcer Z. Plug vs. suture: Who wins in large bore access closure? Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Nov 1;92(5):962-963.
- Shatila W, Krajcer Z. Aortic dissection: Is the false lumen really important? Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Oct 1;92(4):741-742.
- Bracey A, Shatila W, Wilson J. Bleeding in patients receiving non-vitamin K oral anticoagulants: clinical trial evidence. Ther Adv Cardiovasc Dis. 2018 Dec;12(12):361-380.
- Shatila W, Krajcer Z. Use of an AFX aortic cuff in the endovascular treatment of aortocaval fistula secondary to abdominal aortic pseudoaneurysm. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Dec 1;92(7):1352-1355.
- Shatila W, Krajcer Z. Peripheral Artery Disease: How Do Genes and Pharmacology Interplay? Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Jun;91(7):1318-1319. doi: 10.1002/ccd.27649
- Shatila W, Krajcer Z. Chronic total occlusion: Does anti-platelet choice impact outcomes? Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Jan 1;91(1):7-8. doi: 10.1002/ccd.27456.
- Shatila W, Krajcer Z. A cardiologist's nightmare: Coronary obstruction during transcatheter aortic valve implantation: How to identify patients at highest risk for this complication. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 Dec 1;90(7):1198-1199. doi: 10.1002/ccd.27425.
-Shatila W, Krajcer Z."To close or not to close?" When should vascular closure devices be used after cardiac catheterization procedures?
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 Nov 1;90(5):766-767 doi: 10.1002/ccd.27360.
- Shatila W, Krajcer Z. Drug-coated balloons: "Do they still have a role in treating coronary artery disease?" Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 Sep 1;90(3):387-388.
- Shatila W, Krajcer Z. "ICE or not to ICE during LAAO?" What are the benefits and disadvantages of ICE during LAAO? Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2017 Aug 1;90(2):339-340. doi: 10.1002/ccd.27222.
- Peñalver JL, Shatila W, Perin E. Optical Coherence Tomographic Evaluation of Hyperacute Bivalirudin-Induced Coronary Stent Thrombosis. Tex Heart Inst J. 2017 Aug 1;44(4):266-268.
- Peñalver J, Shatila W, Silva GV. Percutaneous Closure of 2 Paravalvular Leaks and a Gerbode Defect after Mitral Valve Replacement for Infective Endocarditis.
Tex Heart Inst J. 2017 Apr 1;44(2):153-156.
- Shatila W, Verma A, Adam S. Plasmapheresis in Severe Methemoglobinemia Following Occupational Exposure. Transfus Apher Sci. 2017 Feb 20.
-Shatila W, AlManfi A, Massumi M, Dougherty K, Parekh D, Strickman N. Endovascular Treatment of Superior Vena Cava Syndrome Using Balloon in Balloon with Palmaz Stent
- Shatila W, Silva GV. Advancing a Guiding Catheter Across a Mechanical Aortic Valve. Tex Heart Inst J. 2016 Apr 1;43(2):142-3
- Navar-Boggan AM, Rymer JA, Piccini JP, Shatila W, Ring L, Stafford JA, Al-Khatib SM, Peterson ED. Accuracy and validation of an automated electronic algorithm to identify patients with atrial fibrillation at risk for stroke. Am Heart J. 2015 Jan;169(1):39-44.e2.
- Shatila W, Rizkallah A, Aldin ES, Tfayli A. Nonbacterial thrombotic endocarditis as the sole manifestation of stage IV gastric cancer: a case report.
J Med Case Rep. 2014 Aug 4;8:267.
- Shatila W, Tsipis N, Eisenberg A, Cardona DM, Chudgar SM. Negative biopsies, deadly disease: metastatic angiosarcoma. Am J Med. 2014 Aug;127(8):e5-6.
- Shatila W, Clark A. Unexplained hypoxia in a woman presenting with acute on chronic abdominal pain. Am J Med. 2013 Aug;126(8):e1-2.